Scene of an Accident

Reporting a Collision

  • If your vehicles are drivable, move them to another location so that they will not be obstructing traffic. If one or more are not drivable call the police complaint line at 423-4567.
  • Exchange information (insurance, registration, name and drivers licence number.)
  • If someone refuses to provide their information document the licence plate number, vehicle description and driver description before they leave the scene.
  • Obtain names and phone numbers of all witnesses.
  • If the combined damage to the vehicles involved is over $2,000, you must attend a police station and file a Collision Report Form. Failure to do so could result in a $287 fine.
  • If the collision involves serious injuries or if impaired operation of a motor vehicle is suspected, here is what you or someone else should do.

  • Call 9-1-1 so that the necessary medical help can be dispatched to the scene and police can be notified. .
  • In this instance, vehicles need to remain where they are in order that the collision scene can be investigated.
  • Police attendance is ONLY required when:

  • Someone has been seriously injured.
  • Individual does not have documentation including driverís license, registration or insurance.
  • You suspect the driver is impaired
  • One or more of the vehicles isnít drivable.
  • If you are unsure, call 780-423-4567.